[bksvol-discuss] Re: Just submitted

  • From: Mayrie ReNae <mrenae@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 18:45:32 -0700

Hi Shannon,

Can you tell me, please, what exactly you mean by protecting page breaks?

I ask, because I downloaded this file to validate. When I open it in Microsoft Word, Word reacts differently than I am accustomed to it acting. As I arrow past what is supposed to be a page break, JAWS is not announcing that there is indeed a page break present. That does not happen with other files I have worked with, or created. Also, when I open the file using Kurzweil 1000, K1000 tells me that the file has only one page.

What version of Microsoft Word are you using? I wonder if you are using a newer version than I am, and there is some conflict that causes page breaks not to be announced.

When you say you are protecting page breaks, do you mean that you are protecting page numbers by surrounding them by blank lines, as is commonly discussed on this list, or something else? A lot of your books look very interesting to me, and I'd like to validate one now and then. But if I can't see page breaks, or varify that they are there, I don't think my working on them is a good idea.

Any ideas about what's happening here?

Peace,
Mayrie

At 05:21 PM 5/11/2008, you wrote:
Hi, all.

I've just submitted Borderlines: A memoir by Caroline Kraus. There are some
junk characters at the bottoms of some pages, but, other than that, the scan
is clean. Here is a summary.

Adult/High School-This is the story of a dysfunctional relationship. Shortly
after graduating from college, Kraus met Jane upon moving to San Francisco,
roomed with her, and soon found the somewhat older woman separating her from
friends, family, money, and, finally, sanity. The author had moved west from
St. Louis after her mother died, and her fragile mental state from coping
with this death played a large part in her susceptibility to Jane's power.
The
two met at the bookstore where they worked. While at first everyone was
enamored with Jane, the other employees, as well as Kraus's friends, soon
began
warning her of the woman's strangely manipulative behavior. While Kraus
barely dated, Jane took several lovers of both sexes and often played them
off
one another and Kraus. As she gradually became aware of the way she was
being dragged down, the author was able to claw her way back to reality.

Shannon
I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can
do something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do
the
something I can do.
- Everett Edward Hale, 1822 - 1909