[bksvol-discuss] Re: Just Validated A Dance In Deep Water

  • From: Monica Willyard <plumlipstick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 21:12:33 -0500

Hi, Cindy. Doug Allyn's mysteries tend to be about normal people like you and me rather than centering around professional detectives or policemen. His characters are generally likeable working class people that you might have a cup of coffee or a beer with at the end of the day. Are his stories scary? Not like a horror novel. They are suspenseful so that you don't want to stop reading. I find myself holding my breath and having no clue as to what will happen next. They have more action than you find in Agatha Christie or Gnaio Marsh books, and the settings are American. I think these books are still probably more like them than the hard-boiled detective genre. The characters have depth, and they almost seem real sometimes. I hope this has been a helpful description. As you can tell, I really do enjoy his books. (smile)

Monica Willyard

At 03:34 PM 1/29/2007, you wrote:
Oh, dear. He sounds like another author to add to my
list of books to read. I seem to be going back and
forth between historical novels and detective
stories--although you describe this as a mystery. Is
it scary or just a good non-scary mystery?