[bksvol-discuss] Re: Jaws left right arrows saying blank

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 20:30:36 -0500

I realize you may simply have used arrowing up and down to explain how JAWS was working, but I want to make sure that you know how to read continuously. Insert-DownArrow is the command to make JAWS read an entire document or until you stop it. Control is usually the best key to use for stopping JAWS's reading, although just about any key will work. You won't necessarily know where lines end, but that won't matter since we already know you will hear split words that you might want to fix. :-) If you have any problems with JAWS reading jirkily or some other problem let us try to help.

For clarification the directions you were given to switch to "normal" should have said something like "normal view" instead of "normal window". A window being refered to as normal is a size issue, and although that usually works fine it is sometimes best to have the window maximized. You can maximize a window you are working in by pressing alt-SpaceBar and then arrowing down to maximize or just pressing the letter X. The "normal" refered to as a solution to your problem is a view option specific to Microsoft Word and certainly is the best choice for displaying a document you are editing.

I wanted to write and offer my help when you wrote a message asking for someone to teach you how to validate, but I didn't dare offer because i haven't been well enough or energetic enough to be able to commit to the time that would probably involve. I'm willing to answer questions when I can, though. Just remember that I'm of practically no use in assisting with Open Book, so I couldn't do the hole job of teaching you to process books for bookshare. It would be useful if you could get someone to help you with Open Book, because then you could scan books for yourself and you could do the validation on some of the books awaiting validation by someone who can deal with the ARC format created by Open Book.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
Assistive Technology Trainer
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity

----- Original Message ----- From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>