[bksvol-discuss] Re: Jaws 12, page breaks and section Breaks revisited

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 09:19:52 -0800

Hi, Reggie, if you want to know if there are page breaks in your
document, Go into the Jaws dictionary and  hit the add button, in the
first box write a backslash zero one two (write the digits) \012, and in
the next box write "page break". Another thing you can do is hit the
insert key with the number 6 key on the numbers row. You will be in the
Settings center. You can choose a variety of schemes, but what you want
is to press Enter when you hear: "Proofreading Attributes and Font
information." Now you can save your changes. So again, if you want to
hear "page break" when you're proofreading, in the find box, write \012,
and in the replace box, write "page break" and save your changes. Any
time you're reading a document for proofreading, Jaws will tell you
there is a page break. One thing though, it helps if your file is
formatted so it isn't set up as a letter format. Then you'd really be in
the soup. To make sure you get rid of soft page breaks, do the
following: 1. Hit alt+F to get into your file menu. 2. Hit U for page
setup; 3. Press enter; 4. Hit ctrl+Tab to get into your paper tab; 5.
You should encounter a combo box with different choices (tabloid,
letter, and the like). Choose "legal". It's ordinarily going to give you
a page that is 8-1/2 inches wide and 14-1/2 inches long. I like to make
the page as long as I can get, say 22 inches. You might get a
notification from your word processing program that this isn't the usual
size. Hit alt+I for "ignore this and do what I want". Now tab over and
hit the spacebar or the enter key when you hear "okay". Regards, Kim
Friedman. P.S.: Reggie, if you know some of this stuff already, do
please ignore this stuff. I'm not sure what you know or don't know, so
thought I'd write down what I did in hopes it will work for you. Hope
you suffer less frustration in future and the proofreading goes
smoothly. K.