[bksvol-discuss] JAWS inside OpenBook

  • From: "Jake" <jabrown@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 20:11:00 -0600

Hi all,
    Here are the instructions to make JFW work within OpenBook as well as some
limitations.

JAWS keystrokes work inside of OpenBook as near as I can tell. The following
are exceptions

The numpad enter will not work, you just need to remember to use the regular
one.
Sometimes the copy command control+c won't work, to get around this pass the
control+c key through to the application. To do this  first press Insert+3 and
then Control+c. JAWS will not speak "copied" or "copied selection to the
clipboard" but it is there.

The other issue I can find is that if you hear JAWS misprounounce something you
might first want to refresh the screen. For instance an entire letter or
sequence may be there but you need a refresh so that JAWS will read that. To
Refresh the screen press Insert+ESC (escape). The issue will most likely be
resolved, or there truly is a problem.
I myself also have Insert+Print Screen set up to refresh the page because when
editing I don't usually have both hands on the keyboard and the insert and
print screen keys are very close to press with one hand.

Now to the actual instructions if you really want to try still. I will say that
I've used JAWS successfully for several months with OpenBook and that OpenBook
rarely if ever crashes now verses every 10 minutes which it was doing for a
while. <grin> well maybe not every ten minutes but very often. Also since with
OpenBook we get the so-called "telephone" IBM ViaVoice the speech quality is
much better with Elloquence.

The steps are...
1. Open OpenBook while JAWS is running
2. Press Insert+6
3. Press Alt+S for the Set Options menu
4. Press A for Advanced Options or press the up arrow once and hit enter
5. Deselect the Sleep Mode checkbox, it should be the first one
6. Press enter to close the dialogue, or Alt+O
7. Press Control+S to save your changes. and then close the configuration
manager (Alt+F4)
8. You might need to restart JAWS or OpenBook or both for the changes to take
effect although in theory you should not need to.

Now in OpenBook you probably have two voices talking at once. Kinda
disconcerting huh? Well when in OpenBook press control+F5 to shut up the IBM
voice. You will need to press this keystroke every time you start OpenBook
because no matter what speech is on at startup even if you try changing it to
off and then saving the default settings file.

I find it much nicer with JAWS also as you now don't need to worry about
inadvertantly trying to use JAWS keystrokes and for your scanner to start going
or any number of things.

Hope this improves the OpenBook experience...
Jake