[bksvol-discuss] Re: JAWS Question About Spellcheck

  • From: "Jackie McBride" <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 16:55:08 -0700

O, Lord, I cannot believe that! O, well, yeah, maybe I can--never mind.

I think you'll find the solution may be as simple as making a custom
highlight. Here's how to do that.
1) open a blank document in word;
2) Put in 1 deliberately misspelled word, e.g., fatige instead of fatigue;
3) Open the spell checker (f7);
4) It'll flag fatige--activate your jaws cursor, either by pressing
numpad dash on a desktop or jawsKey p if using a laptop, route the
jaws cursor to the pc cursor, & press home;
5) Press ctrl jaws key h (usually insert if using a desktop, often
capslock if on a laptop);
6) Press enter to clear the dialog, usually 3 times;

This will make the color used by the spellchecker highlighted, & it'll
speak from now on. Let us know if that works/not for u.

On 7/2/08, Christina <greensleeves1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello, all.
> Today I am looking for help with JAWS.  I am using Microsoft Word 2003 and
> JAWS 7.1.500.  When I try to spellcheck an RTF document, JAWS tells me the
> nature of the problem.  For example, it will say "Fragment" or "not in
> dictionary."  But, it will not actually read me the fragment or the
> misspelled word.  The spellcheck works just fine in .doc documents.  I
> called JAWS tech support and they told me to upgrade to JAWS 9, which I
> don't want to do because it doesn't have the Legacy Support internet
> setting.
> Are there any settings that you all know of that I can change so that I can
> use spellcheck more conveniently with the version of JAWS that I have?
> I didn't have this problem a couple of weeks ago, which was the last time I
> spellchecked an RTF document.  Since then, the only change to my computer
> was an update to my Microsoft XP; I updated to Service Pack 3.  If that
> caused it, do you know of any workarounds?
> Thank you.
> Christina *Who seems to be technically challenged*

Change the world--1 deed at a time
Jackie McBride
Check out my homepage at:
www.abletec.serverheaven.net