[bksvol-discuss] Ivan Doig book submitted

  • From: "cindy rosenthal" <socly@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 13:27:40 -0500

-Before we agreed (it seems) to validate for a while rather than scan, I was
almost finished with
English Creek, so I decided, since it had to be returned to the library, to
finish the post-scan
pre-submission validation. I?ve now submitted English Creek, by Ivan Doig, the
first of the Montana
trilogy. (The next two books are Dancing at the Rascal Fair and Ride with Me
Mariah Montana.)  A
while ago there were discussions of and requests for historical fiction. This
novel takes place in
Montana in 1939. Its author grew up in the area that is the book?s setting.
The book is written in first
person, with a dry humor. .
I think I?ve mentioned before that one of the advantages of volunteering for
bookshare is that I?ve
been introduced to authors I?d never have read otherwise, as well as some books
I?d intended to
read sometime but hadn?t gotten to. Thank you all who have made requests.

I will now work on fixing the books I?ve promised to do, including the Narnia
chronicles, unless
they?ve already been done. Then, if there are still a lot of books on the
validation list, I?ll do my share.
Then, if no one else scanned the rest of the trilogy, which has been requested,
I?ll do those ? but if
anyone else wants to, feel free.

There?s another book by Ivan Doig, entitled Bucking the Sun. It?s also set in
Montana, between 1933
and 1938, during the building of the Fort Peck dam. The San Diego Public
Library?s online catalog
(http://www.sannet.gov/public-library/catalog-databases) offers summaries and
reviews for many
books, including this one. When you search for a book title and get the book
information,  there's a
place to the left of the title,you can click  then get reviews from places like
Library Journal and
Publishers? Weekly. In the case of this book, PW gives a more thorough review
the LJ.
If anyone wants this book and is willing to scan it, I?m willing to validate it
(unless someone else
wants to).