[bksvol-discuss] Re: Is there anything?

  • From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 18:33:52 -0600

Hi Ann!

I am in the habit of uploading files to Bookshare with underscores in the filenames too, and was a little surprised when I forgot and the Bookshare tool didn't choke on spaces.

I go back to the DOS days too, getting my first computer in 1991.

Debby

At 07:54 AM 12/29/2009, Ann Parsons wrote
Hi all,

Debbie, you got to forgive this ol' Linuxer. I've been writing filenames since the old DOS days, and I guess I've gotten pretty set in my ways. I use underscores, and I don't imagine I'll change my habits. In the DOS days you had to limit your filenames to eight characters, be grateful I didn't tell you you had to do that too. <grinning> The thing about Linux or Unix is that it will sometimes reject filenames with spaces in them, or it used to do so. Putting underscores just eliminates any problems that may come up. Again, habit, old habit, what can I say? I tend to think in universal terms. Underscores are accepted by all operating systems even the latest version of DOS, though nobody uses that any more. Habit, habit, so shoot me!

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring