[bksvol-discuss] Re: Is there an easy way?

  • From: Jamie Yates <jamieyates@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 09:17:03 -0800 (PST)

When I've scanned books I try to fix it all up before
I upload it so I try to make sure the blank lines are
in the right place, take the headers out, check
spelling, etc.

I am having a horrible time scanning the Confessions
of a Shopaholic. I can't do it as facing pages or it
only presents half of each page for some reason (in
Omnipage).

Which means I am back to putting in page breaks
manually. Which is ok it just takes me longer.

But yes in general if I validate a book I don't read
the whole thing. I find it cumbersome to read at my
computer.  First I spell check, then I check for page
numbers, page breaks, and the lines between page
numbers and page breaks. I have done books that did
not have page breaks and I put in page breaks manually
for each page. I remove headers if they are still
there. If the book seems to have huge problems then I
read at least the first dozen pages to see what is
going on.

I have not validated a ton of books though. I have
done a couple of textbooks that seemed to have been on
the step one list for a long, long time (one was over
a year). I try not to validate any books that are
brand new on the list because I know there are others
out there who want to read each word of it and I
respect that.

I'm finding out I like to scan books. I especially
like this new-to-me scanner. When I get done scanning
Confessions of a Shopaholic I am going to scan that
Devil in Grey book that someone requested. And I see
that India vegetarian cookbook is at the library
waiting for me too, but I have to go to the pain
clinic today and get another injection so it will be
Friday before I can get to the library.

Jamie in Michigan