[bksvol-discuss] Is it a scanno or a real word

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 23:12:06 -0500

Does anyone know of a truly good high caliber dictionary online.  I need
something that will have older words in it.  smile.

A story to go with the request.  I am editing that copy of First Lady of the
Seeing eye.  Anyway in the story they use a "funicular" to get down the
mountainside to get to Vivey.  Being that I am only twenty three, I had no
idea what a funicular was.  So, was it a scanno or a real word.  Ender's my
mother who is a crossword puzzle person, we aren't your average family
smile.  With her four dictionaries.  We try the Random House.  Not in there.
How about you Marium Webster or as we call him gold old Blue.  Not in him
either.  Mom goes and digs out her old faithful trusty crossword puzzle
dictionary.  Not in there either.  I run upstairs to get the actual book and
find out indeed it isn't a scanno.  And finally in the oldest and largest,
we call him "Old Faithful Black" dictionary in the house, we find out that
it is a predecessor to the "cable car" and that it was cranked by hand.

So... I ask are there good dictionary sites to check incase for example I
run across another word I have know idea if it is spell correctly or not.

And does anyone know what a Mélange is?

The scanner put an accent over the first E.  smile.  I suspect it is a
barrage, or mass confusion or something similar, or is this really a scanno.

Isn't editing books fun.

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Advisory Council