[bksvol-discuss] Invasion At Bookshare HQ

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 16:37:14 -0400

Breaking news: a brigade  of powerful wizards, sinister warlocks,
mind-reading aliens, star-crossed lovers, seductive vampires, vengeful
villains, and cunning criminals have arrived in the Bookshare
proofreading queue. They're threatening to take over and rule our
universe unless a legion of  heroes and heroines are set free by our
dedicated proofreaders. While the number of these vicious villains is
great, our numbers are greater. We have the finest volunteers in the
world, and we can free Bookshare of this evil scourge if we work
together.

How can you help? Fire up your favorite computer, notetaker, or mobile
device, and go check out the book queue at
http://catalog.bookshare.org/bookQueueAvailable to see books with
heroes and heroines in need of your help. You'll need to be logged
into the Bookshare site to view this page.

Grab a book that looks interesting to you, and you're half the way
toward freeing a hero and conquering a villain. As you read, a hero or
heroine will be freed, and a villain will be subdued.

There are 319 books available for check-out, so there's plenty of
chances for everyone to pitch in. Many of the 319 books awaiting
proofreaders are fiction meant for adults, books meant for pleasure
reading. While being fun reads, they also may count as educational
according to Bookshare's guidelines. Other books are nonfiction, and
they count directly toward Bookshare's educational grant. No matter
which book you choose to tackle, you'll be supporting Bookshare's
goals and giving everyone something interesting to read.

Many of you like to proofread books you'd want to read for pleasure
anyway. That's great because there are books in almost every genre
awaiting proofreading. For those who are willing to stretch a little
and work on nonfiction, there are several books about things like
getting a better night's sleep, how disabilities are treated in
movies, and books about the Afghan conflict.

Let's see if we can get that queue below 100 books by Halloween. I
hear an evil mercenary hatching a plot over there in the queue. I
think I'll grab a book and start setting the hero free today.

(Note: In case it needs to be said, this invasion is metaphorical, not
real. No animals. people, or PCS have been injured in the making of
this program. (grin))

What? You're not a volunteer yet? Go to
http://www.bookshare.org/_/community/volunteers and join us in our
fun. We'll help you learn the ropes, and soon you'll be freeing heroes
of your own.

--
Monica Willyard
Visit my GoodReads book shelf at http://www.goodreads.com/plumlipstick