[bksvol-discuss] Re: Introduction

  • From: "Stacey Robinson" <staceyr75@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 11:01:15 -0500

Kim,
Thanks so much.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Kim Friedman
  To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Sunday, July 18, 2010 11:52 PM
  Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Introduction

  Okay, Stacey, still and all, it's a necessary part of the job to be familiar
with what OCR errors you come across so they can be deleted. The submitter will
be grateful and so will future readers. If you are meticulous (a really nice
way of saying "picky") then the book will be a joy to read. What I think the
job description is that our main job is to make sure the submitted file is up
to that excellent quality rating or as near to perfect as we can make the file
without going stark staring nuts. When I proofread a file, I really like to
communicate with a submitter to let him/her know what I'm discovering in the
file. If the submitter is careful, making sure all the text is there, my job is
to treat that file with the same care and attention the submitter had in
scanning and preparing it for Bookshare. I want to catch anything he/she
missed. Ultimate goal, making the submitter look really good, nice-looking and
readable file which is a joy for future readers. Now that gives me
satisfaction. Believe it or not, there are folks on this list who would rather
pull out their teeth rather than proofreading. For some reason peculiar to me,
I can have a great time reading a book I like and still have that little editor
in my brain to attend to deleting scannos and correcting them, stripping
headers, and the like. Regards and happy proofreading, Kim.