[bksvol-discuss] Interlibrary load

  • From: socly@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 16:27:11 -0500

Shelley, I think  the cost of sending books between libraries and between
library systems varies with
the venue, and I would suspect that that cost will be passed on to the
borrower. Los Angeles (city)
Public Library doesn't charge borrowers for books from other branches, and they
have a truck delivery
system. There is a charge for borrowing from a different system, like the
County, but I forget how much
they told me that was. San Diego (city) Public Library, however, does charge
for a book if one requests it
online (to go from one branch to another). However, if the patron calls the
branch that has the book and
asks them to deliver it to the branch where one wants to pick it up, there is
no charge. Isn't that strange?
But for SD County, there is no charge for intra-library loans.

I suspect, with the financial crisis in our state that is filtering down into
local areas, there might be
charges all over the place. At the moment, our library has a hiring freeze, so
when a librarian or an aide
moves, he or she cannot be replaced. Some of the work that can be done by
volunteers is being done
that way, to allow the librarians more time to be on the desk and do jobs that
volunteers cannot do. They
tell me they may have to shorten hours, too, sooner or later. I remembered when
that happened a
number of years ago, and it's makes life difficult for a lot of people/