[bksvol-discuss] Re: Interesting K1000 Problem

  • From: "Tiffany H. Jessen" <tjessen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 11:00:28 -0400

Once again I guess I'm just the odd one because I really don't like Neo speak
voices at all. You're right they are very clear and almost realistic, but that
is only when listening very, very, slow to my ears. My favorite synth is easily
eloquence, but since kurzweil won't work with it until the next version, I
usually use ViaVoice TTS. With that synth I can clearly understand the speech
pumped up to 600 words a minute. With NeoSpeak I can't understand it faster
than a third of that.
I have tested and tried to use Neospeak, but listening at that rate is so slow
it's almost painful, and I'm tempted to kick the thing to hurry up. Even if I
haven't  read the material already I can tell from the flow of sentences what
is going to be done or happen and I have no patients for it. That is why I can
no longer listen to audio books on tape. They take much too long and you can't
pump it up without affecting it's clarity. Besides Neospeak's overall clarity
going to garbage, it also gets extremely choppy when fast. For my hearing I
have always found Eloquence not just the most customizable to my liking, but
also when you changed the speed it seems to retain most of those other settings
which I set.
I don't recall which of the three of you it was who mentioned NeoSpeak being
hoggy with resources, but you're not kidding! With one of my machines kurzweil
gets like that sometimes, so I closed kurzweil and turned on the neo speak
voices with jaws.
I'm telling you. Every, single, keystroke, was, so, far, behind, my, typing, it
was maddening!
With my newer computers I don't even bother to install NeoSpeak any more.