[bksvol-discuss] Re: Instructions for Proofreading using Kurzweil or Microsoft Word now in Volunteer Manual

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 18:39:25 -0700

HI Reggie,

        Smart quotes are something that you can not identify easily in
braille.  They only look different in print, primarily.  But they play havoc
with bookshare books.  I think that the tools actually are supposed to
convert them to regular quotes, but I never trust what the tools are
"supposed" to do.

        If you have smart quotes in your document and are using a braille
display, sometimes the beginning quotation mark will appear in braille as a
closing quote, but the closing quote looks okay.  Pretty much, if you are
working on a book scanned with Open Book you must convert smart quotes.
Kurzweil 1000 does not have this problem.

Wish I were more helpful, but that's what I know.

Mayrie