[bksvol-discuss] Re: Including the Index

  • From: Charisma <wishfulfish@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 13:44:05 -0600

Rolph,

In 4.2 C.3, items 4A and B, Proofing the Back Matter it says, the manual says:
B.  Do I proof this particular section in the Back Matter?  Here's a
general guideline:
-  If any one section in the Back Matter is 3 pages or less, please proof it.
-  If any one section in the Back Matter is longer than 3 pages,
proofing that section is optional.

Three things make the proofing of any long section in the Back Matter
(such as an Index) less desirable:
1.  Time,
2.  Modern search functions now find things very quickly, on web pages
and other documents, and
 3.  The explosion of information available on the internet  (via
Google, Wikipedia, etc.).

So I go with the others--scan it but, if it is too time consuming or
difficult for you and is longer than 3 pages, leave it unproofed with
a note that you've done so.

Charisma