[bksvol-discuss] Re: Improving Writing

  • From: "Donna Smith" <donnafsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 21:54:48 -0400

Shelley, I've been thinking about this for a while.  First, I think that the
National Braille Press has some books on this topic, though I can't remember
off the top of my head what they are.

Second, you might want to do a web search on something like "improve
writing" and see what turns up.

And then, you might want to ask your reference librarian or contact a
community college or university that has a good English/creative writing
professor and ask for some suggestions.

Then once you have those suggestions, we can begin to search out the actual
books.  I know that BookShare has some in the collection, but am not sure
how you'd go about finding them.  I seem to remember that not too long ago
there were a bunch of books in the download list about writing...business
correspondence, reports, essays, etc.  Maybe if you just put the word
"writing" or "write" in the BookShare search engine, you will get some hits.

And finally, if you want to improve on a particular kind of writing, then
you can read authors who are particularly good at it and take note of what
they do.  For instance, I've been interested in improving my ability to
write an essay, since brevity is not one of my strong points, <smile>, and
so I've been reading essayist and paying attention to how they do it.  And
of course, the very final thing is to just do it.  It's like any other
skill...it gets better with practice.

Good luck, and share with us what you find of interest.

Peace and Hope,

Donna