[bksvol-discuss] Re: Improvements to website speed and book quality reporting procedures

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 02:07:51 -0600

WOW! I just renewed a book, at 2 a.m, that before the improvements would have taken about 5 minutes at best at this time of night to renew (usually more like ten minutes). It took less than a minute total. Then I uploaded a book that had been proofread. That took less than two minutes, including the time to upload the book using dial-up! Before the improvements it was taking at least 15 minutes to half an hour, at this time of night, if it worked at all.

Break out the party hats! And please let engineering know because this is a stupendous improvement!

Judy s.

On 5/8/2012 12:32 PM, Alisa Moore wrote:

Hi all,

Today we learned of several improvements to our website that will positively impact your work!

Some important hardware improvements were made, resulting in shorter submission processing times. While you'll generally get better results submitting your scans and proofs during the day (when the system is running optimally for our 200k+ members, and because system maintenance runs over night), you should see faster processing times both /day and night/. We anticipate even more improvements in the next iteration (in a couple of months). Please let me know if you notice improvements and we can celebrate together!

Book quality reports: Submitting a book quality report is now much easier. Simply sign into Bookshare, pull up the book, click on "report book quality issue" (in the upper right hand corner), fill out the form, and you're done! Yay!

On another note, we have a new publisher partner, Cornell University Press.

Alisa K. Moore

Volunteer Program Manager

Benetech

www.bookshare.org