[bksvol-discuss] Re: I'm so-so-so refined!

  • From: "Kellie Hartmann" <hart0421@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 20:46:45 -0500

Hi Lissi,
Okay, I think you're ready for find and replace. Don't worry--it's easy! All
you do is press ctrl-h and type the thing you want to get rid of, press tab
once, and then type the thing you want to replace it with. Then you can
either hit alt-a for replace all, or keep tabbing through the box until you
hear "replace all."  One thing about Find and Replace is that before using
it you always want to think through and make sure that the operation won't
have unintended consequences. For example, if you replace all instances of
the number 1 with the letter I, there will be a lot of crazy page numbers.
What I like to do is do the f&r operations first, then proofread the book.
That way, if there are a few little oopsies I can fix them. For example, if
you replace comer with corner there could be a rare instance of something
like "all comers..." or something, but the f&r is still probably worth doing
because you can fix the few instances you might find a lot more quickly than
you might replace all the mixed-up corners. I usually will save the file
before doing a big f&r operation, then read some before saving again just in
case I didn't think of something and have made a hash of the document.

This really isn't as intimidating as I seem to be making it sound, it's just
that performing the operation is so simple that it's possible to just run
one and make major changes to the document before realizing all the
consequences.
Hth,
Kellie