[bksvol-discuss] I'm Too Young to be Seventy

  • From: Jamie Yates <jamieyates@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bookshare Volunteers <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 19:49:59 -0800 (PST)

I just submitted the book of poetry by Judith Viorst,
author of Suddenly Sixty.

From the dust jacket:

Fans of Judith Viorst's funny, touching, and wise
poems about turning thirty, forty, fifty, and sixty
will love this new volume for the woman who deeply
believes she is too young to be seventy, "too young in
my heart and my soul, if not in my thighs."
Viorst explores, among the many other issues of this
stage of life, the state of our sex lives and teeth,
how we can stay married though thermostatically
incompatible, and the joys of grandparenthood and
shopping. Readers will nod with rueful recognition
when she asks, "Am I required to think of myself as a
basically shallow woman because I feel better when my
hair looks good?," when she presses a few helpful
suggestions on her kids because "they may be middle
aged, but they're still my children," and when she
graciously?but not too graciously?selects her
husband's next mate in a poem deliciously subtitled
"If I Should Die Before 4 Wake, Here's the Wife You
Next Should Take." Though Viorst acknowl¬edges she is
definitely not a good sport about the fact that she is
mortal, her poems are full of the pleasures of life
right now, helping us come to terms with the passage
of time, encouraging us to keep trying to fix the
world, and inviting us to consider "drinking wine,
making love, laughing hard, caring hard, and learning
a new trick or two as part of our job description at
seventy."

Jamie in Michigan