[bksvol-discuss] Re: If You See Duplicates

  • From: "Lori Castner" <loralee.castner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 06:51:52 -0700

A lengthy discussion occurred aroundsix months ago about the abolition of books
in the collection when publisher quality books come along.  I think the most
harmful loss when a book is replaced by a PQ book is the loss of picture
descriptions.  But an almost equal loss is the loss of hours of effort on a
volunteer's part.  I just completed proofing a poetry book and verified that
all line endings of the poems were in fact correct by comparing the poems in
the book with versions of the poems from the internet.  It took more hours than
any other book I have proofed for bookshare, but in fact was a "labor of love".
 And I would mind if that book were replaced by a PQ book.

But the bottom line is that it doesn't matter if I would mind because that is
the agreement made with publishers, so what is is!

And, Bob, I love that umbrella quote.  It gave me my first chuckle of the day
and normally I don't chuckle before noon and it's only 7:00 a.m here.

Lori C.