[bksvol-discuss] Re: Identifying and Flagging Adult Content

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 17:02:02 -0700 (PDT)

That would be great. I was rating books adult because
of language, knowing that some of our members, as well
as parents of kids under 18, don't like to read
certain kinds of language, but then people were
posting criteria that were more liberal. Using words
that can't be used on the airwaves maybe is a better
guide. The book I just finished, though would be rated
Adult according to that criterion, but the automatic
rater found ony 27 or 32 percent of language like that
and recommended not an Adult rating, although one can
mark it anyone if one chooses. I have no way of
kknowing what NLS marks adult.

It would be very nice if there were a way to indicate,
perhaps next to the title, that a book had language
(L) or violence (V) or Sex scenes (S) not enough to be
rated Adult--maybe we could adopt the movie ratings.
IF we could use G or PG or R or X, and C for younger
children, that would solve the problem of categorizing
books that are for those inbetween children and
grown-ups.

I've been identifying language, violence, etc. in the
long synbopsis because there's more room, but maybe I
should put such info in the short synopsis instead and
say "see long synopsis for synopsis."

Opinions would be appreciated.