[bksvol-discuss] Re: ISBN only on outside of back cover of a book how to handle

  • From: rdols@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 12:44:56 +0000 (UTC)

Good tip, Roger. I'm the one who proofed this book that Kevin is asking about,
and I often cross-check ISBNs with Amazon or a large library catalog such as
WorldCat. In the case of this book, it wasn't even necessary to check online
because the back of the book clearly labeled the number as "ISBN."

As a librarian, I've been trained to look for ISBN numbers on the copyright
page, since that's where they will be if they're inside the book (it always
depends on the publisher. There's no requirement that a book has to put an ISBN
on the copyright page.) This book didn't have one on the copyright page; it was
a self-published book and the author put his address and a link to his web
page.

Having verified that there is no ISBN printed anywhere inside the book, I'll
rephrase Kevin's question: in such a case, should we scan the back cover too?
Or are we satisfied with having the ISBN exist only in Bookshare's metadata?

Rachel