[bksvol-discuss] Re: ISBN numbers

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 11:02:44 -0500

ISBN's were introduced in 1968 and did not become nearly universal until the mid 1970's. I doubt that anyone had even thought of the concept of the ISBN in 1835. I think that it is also unlikely that you have the first 1835 edition too. Those are kind of hard to come by. If the edition you do have was published before 1968 it will not have an ISBN and there is the possibility that if it was published yesterday that it will not have one. There is certainly no law that says that it has to. Yes, leave that part blank.

On 11/19/2012 5:31 AM, Cindy Rosenthal wrote:
Does anyone happen to remember when ISBN numbers began or do I have to do some research? This book with a copyright of 1835 doesn't seem to have one. So am I remembering correctly that I leave that blank when I check in the book?