[bksvol-discuss] ISBN numbers

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 01:22:28 -0700 (PDT)

I did a little more research and found this short
paragraph at the ISBN.org home. I think it's
interesting that only 159 countries and territories
are members and use the numbers. That and the fact the
numbers have been in use for only 3 decades (I wasn't
too far off) would explain why  many books don't have
them--although I'm sure all the major countries that
have a lot of book publishing are among the 129.

Cindy

The ISBN is a unique machine-readable identification
number, which marks any book unmistakably. For 30
years the ISBN has revolutionized the international
book-trade. 159 countries and territories are
officially ISBN members.

http://www.isbn.org/standards/home/index.asp

http://mail.yahoo.com