[bksvol-discuss] Re: ISBN Reminder

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 21:58:54 -0400

Let me point out that the entire ISBN is determined by a mathematical formula. There is a web site that explains that, but I don't remember the URL. Some of the earlier ISBNs were called SBN which stood for Standard Book Number. That was before the practice went international. In many of those cases the initial digit was left off and the last digit was replaced with digits representing the price of the book. If you get one of those you might have a devil of a time figuring out what the actual ISBN is. If you can find that web site that I mentioned you can apply the mathematical formula to the number that you do have and figure it out. If not, there are other tricks. I did have one I scanned once and I figured it out by searching for it on Good Reads. I looked for an edition that matched all the publishing information I had and then noted that the ISBN matched most of the digits I did have. That is, after I removed digits at the end that matched the cover price the rest of the numbers matched except for the last digit and the first digit was missing. I then confirmed the number that I found by doing a search for the ISBN on Amazon, AddAll.com and some other book sites. All of the editions that came up matched the edition I had in all aspects that were mentioned, so I am pretty confident that I had found the correct ISBN. By the way, The ISBN, whether it was called an ISBN or an SBN, was not invented until 1968, so you will not find any books published before then with one. The ISBN didn't really catch on such that most books had them until the mid seventies though.

On 7/10/2015 9:41 PM, Sandra Ryan wrote:

Hi Larry,

Many books written before 1970 are missing ISBN’s. Not having one means you have to write in the title, author(s), copyright date, copyright holder, and long and short synopses when you submit the book for proofing.

Sandi