[bksvol-discuss] Re: ISBN Question?

  • From: "Jake Brownell" <jabrown@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 22:35:50 -0500

Hi Paula,

An X at the end of an ISBN is an acceptable item. It's actually part of the ISBN10 standard, but I'm not sure about ISBN13. Basically that last digit is a checksum of some sort. I'm sure Wikipedia has all the details or the ISBN official website does, but it has something to do with modulating the sum of the digits by 11 and X represents a result of 10.

Regards,
Jake

Jake Brownell
QA Engineer, Bookshare.org