[bksvol-discuss] Re: ISBN

  • From: "Kellie Hartmann" <hart0421@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 10:29:34 -0500

Hmm, I don't think primarily relying on ISBNs is necessarily the best
solution for several reasons.
1. books that came out before some time in the seventies don't have one.
2. Sometimes they scan all right except for one character which still looks
right, but when you go to submit the book the system rejects it because it
knows the ISBN is wrong. Then you have to leave off the ISBN.
3. For simple fiction, a lot of volunteers--including lazy yours truly who
got tired of having the issue described above--don't bother to put in the
ISBN.

I know the ISBN is important for textbooks and even I try to include them
when I do textbooks. Mostly I think title and author should give you access
to the advanced synopses etc along with ISBN leading to these
functionalities.

Just thinking out loud,
Kellie