[bksvol-discuss] Re: I made you a list of books kicked back to step one!

  • From: Elizabeth and Burton <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 10:03:32 -0500

Has anybody noticed that John, who is supposed to have contact with volunteers, rarely speaks up on this list about any of the issues which seem to be critical to volunteers?

E.

At 03:24 AM 1/2/2007, you wrote:
Jared, you're right about some of this not needing a technology fix. The fact is that Gustavo has very little contact with volunteers. That in itself is part of the problem. This situation and cluster of issues is a source of ongoing frustration. We choose to continue volunteering here because though the system isn't perfect, we do have a service where we can receive accessible books and can shape the collection by what interests members instead of having someone on a board somewhere deciding for us. Many of us have expressed our frustrations to Bookshare staff as well as on this list. Changes have taken place, and several improvements have been made in the last year. At this time last year, we were in pretty rough shape with a backlog of hundreds of books awaiting approval. Now books are generally approved within a week once they've been validated. The process of becoming a volunteer has been simplified, and user support issues are being addressed in a more timely manner. Progress is happening, though it is admittedly slow. I think it boils down to balancing between working to improve the system and finding ways to build Bookshare from within the system as it is.

Monica Willyard

At 01:55 AM 1/2/2007, you wrote:
Interesting. I'm hesitant to too harshly criticize the way things operate within this project, both because I've not been here for long enough to truly gauge the things it does well and where it could improve, and because I already appreciate what's going on here, mostly by volunteers, a great deal. That said, hopefully these issues eventually become resolved. The first two proposals I raised, (Gustavo himself correcting minor mislabeling he already knows about and, short of that, leaving more specific kick back explanations), have nothing to do with technical development, so far as I can see. (snip)