[bksvol-discuss] Re: I learn something new

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 14:09:02 -0600

I'm not upset just learning. I do know that bookshare is working on improvements, or at least will be. When I went to the Closing the Gap conference at the end of October they reaffirmed that they are working on meeting some more guidelines, especially created for textbooks, so this situation will have to improve. Of course it takes time, and who knows what issues will still crop up. I just want people to remember that bookshare has promised a bookshare version 2.0 even on this list, so don't say they aren't doing anything. It is still frustrating that it is such a mess now and that we have so many problems, but be frustrated with the problems not the people at BookShare. Their biggest failing is not communicating with us more, either because they don't realize how a couple minutes here and there could help us, or because they don't know everything we need to know. Still communication has improved a little when it comes to big issues.

As for what to do about the chapter problem, I will just insert a header like the ones on other pages, or place a page number above each chapter. I don't want to insert anything that would be unnatural in the book, because at some point these books may be reprocessed and we don't want to find weird junk in books. :-)

What I would like to know, and can just maybe find out, is whether having page numbers on the tops of some pages, but on the bottoms of others causes the system confusion.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
Assistive Technology Trainer
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity