[bksvol-discuss] Re: I just uploaded The Book Again

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 16:28:04 -0800 (PST)

When it gets kicked back with a comment about
something needs to be checked, it's administrative
staff, even though Gustavo's name isn't on it. Ginny
probably was a volunteer to worked on it at one time
and released it.

What happens is this, although maybe you've already
figured it out from all the responses:

After you validate a book and upload it, it gets
checked by a bookshare employee, usually Gustavo at
this time. He doesn't look at the book itself--just at
the form, so if, originally, the copyright holder's
name was not in the space in the submission form, or
if, perhaps, it didn't jibe with the author's name
(since in this case the translator holds the
copyright)and so looked suspicious to Gustavo or
someone, it would be kicked back with a note to have
it checked. Unfortunately, so far bookshare hasn't
replaced any former employees who helped in the
checking and so books get backlogged in the
admdinistrator queue.

Also unfortunately, the copyright law and liability
problems prevent any of us volunteers being able to
help with the checking, which would be really easy and
would unblock the clogged queue.

It's a good thing you happened to notice that your
book was back on the download list. Many of us haven't
been, assuming all is well, and while we wait for our
book to be approved, and we don't know it's back on
the list for some minor problem to be solved, someone
else takes it and validates it anew and uploads it
correctly.

The glitch, as I think Jake pointed out, is that the
original is the book that is returned, not the
validated copy, so instead of someone other than the
validator, who notices the book and sees what's
required, being able to download it and put in the
missing information and uploading it, that person has
to do a whole new validation. That's why, as Jake
said, I and others have started to keep out validated
copies so we can just upload them and correct the
form.

I hope I haven't further confused you and that my
explanation is clear and is not duplicative. I tend to
talk and write too much sometimes.