[bksvol-discuss] Re: I just uploaded The Book Again

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 11:13:56 -0800

Yes, I'm adding to my own message.

I found the information I thought I was looking for about making sure that a
book was uploaded, but it applies to book submissions, not validations.  To
prevent duplicate submissions, go to the Step One download page and see if it
is there.  But after validation, where can I go to make sure the book I
uploaded has been successfully uploaded?  The books awaiting administrator
approval list is compiled by Gustavo, not updated in real time as the Step One
download page appears to be.

This really bugs me, because the book as I downloaded it didn't have the title
at the top, and the copyright information was several pages down after the
publisher's puff material and dust jacket blurb.  The comments by some other
people after I validated the book mentioned that the title and copyright
information needed to be verified.  (I guess Gustavo or someone in charge
looked at it and sent it back to the Step One page because of this.)  The
problem is, that if the title had been there, and the copyright information had
been easier to find, then the book the submitter sent up - with many more
errors than the one I sent up - would have been approved.  It would have looked
like I had validated a copy of the book which I didn't validate - a
porrer-quality one.  I read through the entire book, and I want to make sure
that other people get the book I corrected.  I do not want to validate books I
didn't actually check - which would have been the case if the book had had the
title at the beginning and the copyright information easier to find.

I will not validate any more books until I have a way of assuring that the book
I have actually checked is the one that is actually the one other readers will
get.  As it is, I appear to have validated a book with flaws which I had
corrected in the book I attempted to upload.  I changed the quality to
'excellent' from 'good' or 'fair', I added the ISBN number, which was in the
book submitted but not in the form the submitter filled out.  I added a long
synopsis from the dust jacket, which wasn't in the form the submitter filled
out.  Also, I corrected a typo in the brief synopsis.  All this information was
there on the Step One download page this morning, as well as my name on a book
of lesser quality than the one I tried to upload on Sunday.  Needless to say, I
am ticked.

I wonder how many others have unknowingly put there names on a book that isn't
really the one they fixed up.  I can't be the first one this has happened to.
If the book is approved, why would they check on a book they may have already
read?  They may - as I did - read the entire book, fixing every error they
find, only for readers to get the likely lesser-quality copy of the book the
submitter sent up with the validator's blessing.  All that work for nothing.
Not that it's exactly onerous for a book lover to want to fix everything and
help readers to get the best book he or she can provide, but it does take time,
and all that time will have been wasted.

It wouldn't be so bad if the site had told me that the book hadn't uploaded for
some reason, but it analyzed the scanning quality, then told me that it was
approved.  The scanning quality of the original would not have been as high, I
am sure of that.  There were many good pages, but some pages had words cut off,
and others had junk characters.

Also, before anyone asks, I checked the path and filename before trying to
upload.  I even opened the file to make sure it was the one I wanted to send.