[bksvol-discuss] Re: I have a question please and thank you.

  • From: "gwen tweedy" <gstweedy@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 08:05:53 -0500

This is very true for sure.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Chanelle Hill
  To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Tuesday, September 08, 2009 9:29 PM
  Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: I have a question please and thank you.

  The adult content rating should be checked for the sake of the children--or
at least those who are very young. The question is: Are students who have
access to Bookshare automatically blocked from seeing adult content books?
Children do manage to see, hear, and read what may not be appropriate for them,
but does that mean that Bookshare should be another way for them to gain access
to explicit material? How would you define what are considered "childrens
books?" What about students in middle or high school? Should they be stuck
reading "childrens books"--especially when literature classes expand to include
Shakespeare and some British and American classics? I know many adults who
enjoy childrens books while taking pleasure in books of a more serious nature
or on subjects that are too complicated for young children to understand.
Adults should not be limited to just reading adult books since there are books
on a wide variety of subjects that do not involve explicit content. Right now,
the Bookshare volunteer manual states: "Please use your best judgment for
determining adult content. While we understand and respect that different
people have different standards for what is acceptable subject matter, a
general guideline to consider is this: in a large well-stocked bookstore, would
somebody under the age of 18 be able to get this book off the shelf, pay for
it, and walk away. Books of an obvious explicit sexual nature or that incite
hate should be considered adult content. If unsure, mark the book as Adult
Content, and explain in one or two sentences what about the content of the book
warrants this selection in the comments field." (Section 5, Guidelines for
Marking Books "Adult")
  There are several things to notice about this statement. First, would minors
be able to walk away with the book in a sstandard, well-stocked bookstore?
Bookshare is a large bookstore of sorts with over 50,000 books on a wide
variety of subjects that is accessible to both minors and adults. Books that
are of obvious explicit sexual nature or incite hate should be marked, so in
many instances, perhaps the rating is given too liberally. However, it is
Bookshare's decision to rate the book as having adult content and the statement
encourages proofreaders to give an explanation of why they think an adult
rating should be given even if they are not sure. On the other hand, it is
probably all right for proofreaders to state why a book is not adult content
even if the tool gave it that rating. In short, We don't have the
responsibility of determining whether a book is or is not adult content and
some may be more hasty to give the rating than others, but we can offer our
opinions.

  Chanelle