[bksvol-discuss] Re: I have a question please and thank you.

  • From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 22:52:32 EDT

It is hard for me to see how it could be a statement of fact rather than
opinion. I know that the very most explicit descriptions of sex do not strike
me as obscene. Yet, I am quite aware that there are others who do not agree
with that even if I have a hard time understanding their perspective. That
makes it a matter of opinion as I understand the word opinion.

"The end may justify the means as long as there is something that justifies
the end.
" Leon Trotsky

http://www.pathfinderpress.com
                 _

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bksvol-discuss] Re: I have a question please and thank you.
Date:
9/10/2009 10:07:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From:
popularplace@xxxxxxxxx
To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

Possibly; but I consider the reviews to be the place for my opinions of the
book, e.g., whether it's well-written, a little strange but worth reading.
statement that a book has explicit descriptions of sex, or violence , or
torture, or obscenities or profanity is a satement of fact, not my opinion,
and
for those who don't want to read books that contain such I think the
warning should be in the synopsis, not my review.

Cindy

Wish List (i.e., books wanted added to the collection) and
books-being-scanned list available at sites below

Books Being Scanned List:

From: Judy s. <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wednesday, September 9, 2009, 10:49 AM

Jackie, I so get what you are saying (and I'm so sorry about your
daughter!). It isn't a case of censorship. It's a case of wanting to be able to
appropriately
choose what to read. I've lost one third of my entire family in the last
few years in not one, but two separate car accidents, one that was so horrific
it was reported in photos and TV news across the Midwest. I don't want to
just open a book that involves anything graphic regarding car accidents,
because
of that. It's still too raw, and I don't want to be 'surprised' by it when
I am reading or proofreading something.

The NLS system does seem better than the bookshare way of marking things as
adult or not adult, because it at least helps raise a flag to help people
decide
what to read before they come across things they don't want to read.

Judy s.

cdrobles693@xxxxxxxxx
> wrote:
>> Gwinn, everyone has different tastes, for instance, I don't like the way
>> Kenny G plays his saxophone, circular breathing, that is how Rafael
Mendez,

Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx

http://www.themilitant.com
Pathfinder Press:

soronel.haetir@xxxxxxxxx

Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
<Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
> wrote:
>> > Some time ago I recall Pavi saying that the dictionary that algorithm
>> uses
>> > was reviewed and that it was laughable when they saw some of the words
>> that
>> > were in it. Supposedly that was corrected, but I very much suspect
>> that I
>> > would still consider it laughable. Honestly, I was once telling
>> someone
>> > something another person said. I mentioned that the person had said
>> that
>> > another
>> > person was pissed off. I do not ordinarily use that phrase myself, but
>> since
>> > I was relating what someone else said I did that time. I was angrily
>> accused
>> > of being obscene. It never even occurred to me in my wildest
>> speculations
>> > that anyone would consider that to be obscene and if I had found it in
>> that
>> > dictionary of prohibited words and phrases I would have found that
>> > laughable.
>> > Nevertheless, someone did consider it obscene. That is why I tend to
>> think
>> > that the person who is offended by so-called "adult" words has the
>> problem,
>> > not the one who utters them.
>> >

>> > "The end may justify the means as long as there is something that
>> justifies
>> > the end.
>> > " Leon Trotsky
>> >
>> > The Militant:
http://www.themilitant.com
Pathfinder

cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

soronel.haetir@xxxxxxxxx
>> of available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject
line.

block quote end

block quote end