[bksvol-discuss] Re: I have a few questions.

  • From: "Jackie McBride" <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 11:16:33 -0700

Jessica:

A page break is a code inserted by a word processing program to tell
the printer to go to the next page.  It often does this, for example,
when a chapter ends in mid-page, if material needs to be kept on its
own page &, in order to do that, a previous page needs to end, etc.  I
don't know what you're using as your validating editor.  Word will
actually read this as "page break", but other editors, like wordpad,
seem not to recognize them.  The page break code can differ from
editor to editor.  Ascii 12 or control l or "formfeed" is the code
used in standard text editors but each word processor uses its own
specific code.

I don't know how to answer your next question.  I personally read the
book, &, if I'm sure it's just scanner garbage, I take that stuff out.
 Some folks, I think, would disagree w/that assessment?  Sometimes,
especially if stuff is at the top of a page, it's a heading in a weird
font & the OCR turns it into trash.  Since it is a heading & the
stripper would kill it if it recognizes it as such anyway, then
removing it is best.  If it isn't a case like that, though, then
you're kind of on your own.

On 10/19/07, Jessica <jandsed@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am a returning volunteer. And yes I read the manual which did help
> answer most of my questions.
> But it didn't answer 2 that I can think of right now.
> What are page breaks exactly so I don't remove them? Are they simply the
> page numbers? or is there an actual format code or something?
> Also In a file I downloaded today there is a lot of just numbers I am
> assuming when the book was scanned this occurs.
> Here is a brief example.
> 171 1111 11Pmimmo".""111111
> and there are numbers at the top of this book before the text begins. Do
> I  take this stuff out?
> The book otherwise is very clean. I of course will proof read it. But
> the answers to these questions would be a great help.
> Thank you.
> Jessica

Jackie McBride
Please sign the Yahoo Accessibility petition at:
<http://www.petitiononline.com/yabvipma/petition.html>
& Check out my homepage at:
www.abletec.serverheaven.net