[bksvol-discuss] Re: I do not understand this.

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 22:01:22 -0500

#
No, the book is available on the Bookshare site. You can go there and download it yourself. It's just that on the list of all my submissions in the "my scans in progress" page it is marked as having been removed from the system. By the way, Pathfinder Press is my favorite publisher and if they did start supplying their own copies that would please me even if it did mean that some of my own contributions were removed, but it has not.
On 2/25/2013 9:53 PM, Nimit Kaur wrote:
Hi Roger,

That is strange.  So, you mean the book you submitted is no longer on
the bookshare site?  Just curious.  Sorry I don't know the answer to
your question, neither do I totally get it, but anyways.  So, is your
book gone totally?  That's really strange all that work you put in to
it I guess.  Thanks!

On 2/25/13, Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx> wrote:
#
Back when so many people were upset that their volunteer submissions
were being replaced by publisher quality books I felt rather smug
because none of my own contributions had been replaced. The reason is
that pretty much every book I have submitted is published by a small and
obscure publisher or is quite old. To this day I was confident that none
of my submissions had been replaced. Well, just now I was doing
something I do not ordinarily do. I was on my scans in progress page,
which now contains one's whole history of submissions, and this time I
started scrolling down to look at all the books I had submitted. It
turned out that two of my submissions had been labeled as removed from
the system after all. They were "Malcolm X: The final Speeches" and "The
Last Year of Malcolm X." I was certain that the publisher, Pathfinder
Press, had not signed an agreement with Bookshare even though I wish
they would do so. My first thought was that my contributions had been
replaced by outsourced copies and if that was the case I was going to
come here and ask what is the point of even having volunteers if our
work is going to be replaced with copies that Bookshare has acquired
from wherever they acquire them and farmed out to the outsourcers. But
first I did a search of the collection for one of the books in question,
The Last Year of Malcolm X. I found it readily and clicked the title to
find out who supplied the copy that had replaced mine. It turned out to
have been myself after all. The metadata page does state that I was the
submitter and that a fellow volunteer was the proofreader. So why is it
labeled in my history of submissions as having been removed from the
system while it remains in the system and is ready to be downloaded?