[bksvol-discuss] Re: I am not supposed to scan a book? -- New publisher's Riot Act

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 12:51:24 -0500

The bottom line is:  keep on scanning and submitting, folks!

Guido

Guido D. Corona
IBM Accessibility Center,  Austin Tx.
IBM Research,
Phone:  (512) 838-9735
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx

Visit my weekly Accessibility WebLog at:
http://www-3.ibm.com/able/weblog/corona_weblog.html

"Peter Scialli" <Peter.s@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
10/25/2004 12:40 PM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss

<bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Guido Corona/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Re: I am not supposed to scan a book? -- New publisher's
Riot Act

Gustavo is away on vacation this week.  In his absence, I will attempt to
answer and also pass the message along.  Keep in mind that we are not
lawyers, but we consult with a well-regarded copyright lawyer on the West
Coast on a regular basis.
    Most books these days refer to the prohibition against duplication and
almost all of them refer to so-called electronic means.  My personal
interpretation is that the word scanning is a synomyn for reproducing by
electronic means.  In any event, if one already owns a book one may scan
it for their personal use under accepted Fair-Use doctorine.  It is the
redistribution of the material that is at issue.  Chaffee is clear that an
organization such as Benetech has the legal right to do this.  In
addition, we are in constant close contact with a legal representative of
the Association of American Publishers who is very aware of what we are
doing and how we are doing it.  As long as we maintain our standards of
Digital Rights Management, the publishers as a group are not objecting to
our mission.  Thanks.

Peter M. Scialli, Ph.D.
Associate, Technical Projects, Bookshare.org
www.bookshare.org

A Project of The Benetech Initiative - Technology Serving Humanity
peter @benetech.org
www.benetech.org