[bksvol-discuss] I Love The Publisher Quality Books!

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bookshare Volunteers <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 22:00:17 -0500

I just downloaded and started reading one of the publisher quality books. I love it! The text is so easy to read, and I can just relax and enjoy the book without doing any clean up. I feel spoiled now. (smile) Sure, it would be nice to have a synopsis, and I'm sure they'll begin adding those in time. For now, I'd rather pop the title into an Amazon or Barnes and Noble search field and read a book's description instead of having Bookshare hold back the books to wait for an automated solution for the synopsis. They're adding some bestsellers and very popular books right now, and I don't want to sacrifice the quality just to get a synopsis. This is a first step toward the kind of access to books that most of us have dreamed of since we were kids. First steps are usually awkward and falter a bit until momentum builds and you find the right way to move forward. I hope they'll be able to turn on the feed for the O'reilly books soon. I use those for work, and my scans of some of those books aren't so pretty because the books have screen shots that make scanning a bear. I can't submit them to Bookshare due to the weird page layouts. Publisher quality books are my version of paradise! Publisher quality computer books are like winning the lottery jack pot for me. (smile)

Monica Willyard