[bksvol-discuss] Re: I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie--& ghost stories

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 16:57:54 -0500

Hi, Cindy and Cindy. When my daughter was little, she didn't want me to read a book right before bed. She wanted me to tell her a story and make up funny voices for the characters. The little ones that we watch 2 days a week do the same thing before naptime. I think they are after the personal interaction more than anything else. I don't think they'd like listening to my speech reading them a story. I usually read a picture book to them in the morning, but afternoon naptime is all about cuddling and telling stories of far away places with castles, little children, and a beautiful princess. Their imaginations are working overtime, and they drift into sleep wondering about fairies in the woods and talking fawns near whispering brooks. These things seem almost universal among young children, and video games or television are only a poor substitute. I don't often hear a request for a TV show, but the words "tell me a story" are something I hear everryday. I hope that never changes.

Monica Willyard