[bksvol-discuss] Re: How-to

  • From: "Christina" <greensleeves1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 09:43:32 -0400

Hi, Kim.
Here's what I wrote for the Bookshare Volunteer Manual a while back.
HTH,
Christina

Bookshare Spellchecker

            One of the latest updates to the Bookshare site is the addition of
the spellchecking tool.  This spellchecker is
efficient and thorough but it differs slightly from the spellchecker found in
most word processors.

The Bookshare spellchecker can be accessed during both the submission and
check-in processes.  It appears after you select
your RTF file and upload it.

The screen will say, "The current book has 345 unique misspelled words,

occurring a total of 6,196 times out of 86,889 total words (proper nouns,
acronyms and jargon are counted as misspellings by
the spell checker.)"  (Of course the numbers will vary from book to book.)

The number of unique misspelled words, (345 in our example), is a link.
Clicking on that link brings up a list of the
misspelled words.

This list appears in a new window.  Basic Bookshare links are at the top of
this window.  The Spellchecker portion begins
with the following, "Book Spellchecker Review

This page has opened in a new browser window. To return to the previous page,

click here to close this browser window,

exit this browser window by pressing Alt + F4, or use a Alt-Tab to return to
the first browser window."

Below is a list of alphabetized misspelled words.  Below each word is a number.
 This number is the amount of times this word
occurs in the document.  Bookshare's spellchecker gives you a list of words; it
does not give you suggestions on what the
correct spellings might be or allow you to change them.  If you wish to make
any corrections, you must make them in your RTF
document.

Your book will almost always have misspelled words in it, according to
Bookshare, even after you make corrections.  Slang,
names of places and people, as well as made up words will be on this list.

Once you have used the spellchecker to locate and correct misspelled words in
your document, close the window by either
hitting the Alt key and f4 or by clicking on the link at the top of the
Spellchecker Review part of the screen.  You must
then hit the "Back" button, save your changes in your document,  and re-upload
your file.  You will see the quality report
again but you can ignore it this time as you have already reviewed the
misspelled words.

Even after making the changes yourself and re-uploading the RTF file,
Bookshare's Spellchecker is much faster than using the
spellchecker tool in Microsoft Word.  You can simply arrow past any words you
know are correct and focus on the ones that
need to be changed.