[bksvol-discuss] How to remove a solid or dotted "line" in Word (was Re: Re: Does anyone know...)

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 12:25:55 -0500

Hi Valerie and Pamela,

I just had to do this myself, and found out there is a way to remove a line that shows up like this in Word (if you weren't able to wipe it out immediately with a control z). I thought it was a graphic line Word had created when I'd typed in a string of asterisks, but I couldn't highlight the line and delete it the way you would a graphic line. (Have I mentioned lately how much I hate Word? smile). So I went digging into Microsoft's support site to find out what is going on.

It turns out that this kind of line is really what Word calls a "border."

To remove a border, do the following:

1. Select a chunk of text starting from before where the border appears to after where the border appears.

2. Then, while the text is selected, on the Format menu inside of Word, click Borders and Shading, and then click the Borders tab.
3. Under Setting, click None.

Voila!  The line/border will be gone.

The instructions are based on Word 2000/Word 2003. Could you try this, Valerie, and let us know if different instructions are needed for Word 2007? Thanks! smile.

Judy s.

Valerie Maples wrote:
Hi, Pamela!

What you have is when you type three asterisks and hit enter. You can undo it immediately with CTRL Z, but otherwise you need to copy and paste the page in to a plain text notepad file and then copy above it and paste into the original document and then the bottom, with a blank line between and return to type the three asterisks.

I would love to find a simpler way and am more than open to suggestions if others have better workarounds.

Thanks!
Valerie

On Jun 17, 2010, at 9:05 PM, Pamela Hoffard wrote:

    Does anyone know what this square-dotted line is?  When I put my
    cursor over it, it gives me a double line with an arrow above and
    below the lines?  I'm using Word 2007 to do the proofing.  I can't
    delete it the normal ways and I have all formatting marks turned on.

    Has anybody encountered this before??

    This is what it looks like:

    We'll be waiting a long time for that perfect husband, and we'll
    be awfully disappointed during the waiting.

    Here’s the difference:

    ***

    You wish for a relationship

    you dream of a husband

    you long for a perfect man.

    ***

    You wish for some cash

    you dream of more money

    you long for enough money to take away all your problems

    Thanks for any help,

    Pam