[bksvol-discuss] Re: How to be a black belt validater?

  • From: "Jill O'Connell" <jillocon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:53:13 -0800

Cindy, My rule of thumb about validating is that I don't validate anything that
I'm not willing to read. It does take time but if you are really enjoying the
book, then that's all right. Almost every time I have not read the book from
cover to cover, I later found errors that I had missed in the Bookshare copy
which is why I no longer rely on just using the shortcuts such as ranked
spelling, etc. And I am always uneasy when I submit a book and one or two days
later it is approved because I am very doubtful that the book has been given
the careful reading that it should have. So if you think you're obsessive, so
am I, and I am glad to see that there are others this way as well. With the
good scanning equipment today, I think we have the obligation to do the very
best we can, and it is such a joy to read a truly excellent copy.  Jill
  From: lavendar@xxxxxxxxx
  To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 14:38:15 -0500

  Actually, Monica, you make a good point about reading the entire book
through.  the manual doesn't say that you must do this as a validater.  I must
say, that the times that I did just even skim through the book, and sort of
"zoned out" while "reading", I missed some critical things..so..yeah, reading
each and every book you validate all the way through is a good place to start!

  Caitlyn