[bksvol-discuss] Re: How to be a black belt validater?

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 08:21:08 -0500

Bob, you bring up a good point here. I'm going to copy Pavi just in case she
hasn't seen this message. I think this really needs to be included in the
manual. We have lost several volunteers due to unclear specifications up
front. For example, though almost all Windows users have access to WordPad,
we can't use it for validating because it doesn't retain section breaks and
doesn't show page breaks with speech. The latter problem could be solved by
hiring a Jaws/Window Eyes scripter to make a script file that volunteers can
download. The former problem, the one about section breaks, is a Microsoft
issue we can't get around. I can only speak from a Windows perspective since
I'm not familiar with the Mac or Linux.

I would put the requirements this way in the manual. Validaters must have
and use one of the following:

Microsoft Word

Kurzweil

WordPerfect (if you have some sight since speech doesn't announce page
breaks)

Openbook

Wyn Wizard

A modern Pacmate or BrailleNote

Open Office, (if you are sighted since speech doesn't work with this
program)

Validaters cannot use:

An old notetaker like Braille Lite or Braille 'N' Speak (It doesn't retain
page breaks at all)

WordPad

Notepad

Windows Live Writer

A text editor

Monica Willyard

  _____

Bob Writes:
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: How to be a black belt validater?

This is an excellent suggestion Kaitlyn.

I would like to see something about necessary tools and preferred tools.

For example, is ms word a necessary tool? or is Kurzweil preferred over
Openbook? Can a validator validate properly using only a notetaker?

I realize that this would be a difficult section because we all, obviously,
prefer the tools we have on hand, and the prices for adaptive technology
prohibit us from buying a whole new bunch of tools just because it seems
that these are the preferred method.

However, a person couldn't validate using only a text editor with a spell
checker because page numbers wouldn't be maintained. I suspect that most of
the early books into the collection were submitted using only a text editor.
However, if a new volunteer wanted to use a text editor to validate a book
they'd be out of luck.

Thanks.

Bob