[bksvol-discuss] Re: How to be a black belt validater?

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 12:12:45 -0500

Caitlyn, I love your idea. (smile) That's a great way to help improve the
quality of our books. I think we have a lot of highly-skilled validaters
around here who could lend a hand. I will just ask for one thing to be
included, and it seems almost unnecessarily obvious. It's the one thing that
a person can do to build a great foundation. Please, please read the book
all the way through. You can do a lot with a spellchecker and removing
headers, but reading the book itself is the way you can catch scannos like
the word car for cat or die for the. It's also how you can be certain that
all pages are present since scanners don't always handle page numbers well.
There are literally thousands of books in the collection that were scanned
pretty well but that needed someone to read through and remove scannos. I
know Bookshare doesn't require people to read a book and that the validation
process was different five years ago. Where we are now in 2008 is a new
landscape for volunteers. Since validaters get the same amount of credit
submitters do, I think it's fair for validaters to read the book just as
submitters are required to scan the whole book.

Ok, I've said my piece. I'm going back to my scanner now. (smile) Now where
did I put my coffee cup?

Monica Willyard