[bksvol-discuss] Re: How to Read Downloaded Bookshare Books

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 09:29:18 -0500

I don't know how many of the steps you have done already, so I will try to
review everything you need to do to read daisy files.

If you have not downloaded and installed the Victorsoft daisy reader from
bookshare you can do so by looking for the "download tools" link on either
the bookshare homepage or from any book's download page.
On the download tools page you need to hit enter on the link for your
operating system, which is probably the first one, windows.  On the next
page there will be a link that says "Continue to the DAISY format reader
download page." hit enter on it, and you will get a page with a button on it
that says Download VRSoft.  The installation file is about 11 meg, so you
might want to do this when you have some time.  That page also has links to
a bunch of documentation and getting started information on the reader, so
anything my message doesn't tell you can be found there. :-)

Now once you have the reader installed you can open daisy books by opening
VRSoft from your start menu and then using control-o to look at the books
that the reader has found on your harddrive.  the advantage to this method
is that you only choose the book title you want to read instead of having to
go through all those files with the same name and different extentions.

If you can't find the book you downloaded and unpacked in that list you can
open the book by going to the directory where you unpacked the book and
hitting enter on the file with the correct name and a .opf extention.

Hope that helps.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
curious entity at earthlink dot net