[bksvol-discuss] Re: How can I get one of those copyright status notices found at the beginning of a public domain book?

  • From: 17razz@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 08:07:34 -0500

Hi,

     Yes, I am rescanning a book that has no copyright date because it
is in the public domain.

     Because these books are out of copyright, there is no copyright
notice.  To notify it's readers of this fact, Bookshare has placed a
notice at the beginning of every public domain book that looks like
the following attachment.  It is this notice that I would like to know
how I  obtain.

Thanks,

Jess

On 12/3/08, siss52 <siss52@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Jessica,
>
> I do not understand your question.  Are you scanning or validating a book
> that has no copyright or what?
>
> Sue S.

William Shakespeare Rape of Lucrece, The Converted From ASCII and repaginated
Rape of Lucrece, The
NOTICE AS TO COPYRIGHT STATUS OF MATERIAL

The information which follows is important since it describes the copyright
ownership, if any, and any legal restrictions on the use of this Bookshare.org
digital material which govern your lawful use of it.

Public Domain Materials

Bookshare.org and Benetech make no representations or warranties that this
material is, in fact, in the Public Domain. However, Bookshare.org reasonably
believes that this material is out of copyright, and thereby in the Public
Domain and available for free distribution and copying on a Worldwide basis. On
that basis, it makes it freely available to all persons, wherever located, for
downloading, further copying, and personal and commercial use. The title of
this material is 'Rape of Lucrece, The', and the author is 'William
Shakespeare'.

If you have reason to believe that this material is not in the Public Domain,
or you wish to assert a claim to ownership of it on behalf of a copyright
owner, please immediately send an email describing the nature of the claim and
all related information to abuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, and we will make every
reasonable effort to address your concerns. Together we can ensure that the
rights of copyright holders are protected within the limits of the law.

Limitation of Liability; Indemnity by User

By your act of downloading, copying and using this material, you agree that
neither Bookshare.org, Benetech, nor the original authors or publishers of the
materials shall be financially responsible for any loss or damage to you or any
third parties caused by the failure or malfunction of the Bookshare.org Web
Site (www.bookshare.org) or because of any inaccuracy or lack of completeness
of any content that you download from the Web Site, including this material,
nor for the assumption that the material is, in fact, in the Public Domain.
Similarly, neither Bookshare.org nor the original authors and publishers of the
content make any representations as to the accuracy, completeness, etc., of the
materials available on the Web Site. The original authors and publishers have
no editorial control over this Web Site. Bookshare.org has used reasonable care
in selecting and preparing this material for use on its Web Site, but has not
edited nor intentionally modified the materials from the source they were
obtained from. There may be license restrictions imposed by the original
source, in which case, they will be reproduced below, and you may be bound by
them. It is your responsibility to ascertain any restrictions on the use of the
materials and any limitations on the use of them.

BOOKSHARE.ORG, BENETECH, AND THE ORIGINAL AUTHORS, PUBLISHERS AND COPYRIGHT
OWNERS OF THE MATERIALS, SHALL NOT IN ANY CASE BE LIABLE FOR DIRECT, INDIRECT,
SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, WHETHER BASED ON CONTRACT, TORT
OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, IN CONNECTION WITH OR ARISING OUT OF THE FURNISHING
OF CONTENT, THE FUNCTIONING OF THE WEB SITE, OR ANY OTHER ASPECT OF YOUR USE OF
THE WEB SITE AND THE CONTENTS PROVIDED HEREUNDER.

The Bookshare.org id of this book is Bookshare-1230232-3-1.