[bksvol-discuss] Re: How Scanning Ruins The Plot For Me

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 22:45:37 -0500

Well, here's how I do it.
For books that I am personally interested in reading, as opposed to those I scan for others to proof, I scan the entire book at as high a quality as I can. Then I transfer the rtf file to my Pac Mate and read it through. For fiction, and most of the nonfiction that I scan, after I do the best job that I can, and do all of the checking process that I go through for all books, the quality is usually pretty good, so I don't need to check a lot of stuff by the time I get the book onto my braille display. So while a part of my attention is on watching for scannoes, most of it is devoted to the book content.
It works out pretty well for me, and I get to read stuff that I couldn't read any other way other than having to send the books out for others to scan and proof, which is fine, but since I'm buying the book, and I have good scanning hardware and software, I can do as good a job as anyone and read what I like that isn't otherwise accessible, and finally add it to Bookshare's collection for others of similar interests. It's all great.
Too bad that you can't scan because of your setup at the moment. We have a serious shortage of good scanners and it sounds like you would be one of that sort. Hopefully, when you're student time is over, you'll be able to do some scanning and add to Bookshare's collection directly. Until then, it sounds like you've got some volunteers that will do the books you want to read, and with so many members on Bookshare, it's a sure thing that others will be glad to get them when they appear in the collection.
Evan.
Evan

-----Original Message----- From: Justin Heard
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2017 10:04 PM
To: bksvol-discuss
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] How Scanning Ruins The Plot For Me

Hello again.

Thank you for all of the replies. I appreciate all of the offered
help. I will message people privately about addresses and any other
needed information for sending books.

Now, to answer the question. When I read books, I like to sit down and
take in about 40 pages in one sitting if I can. Having to check the
scan as I went would be really distracting. Therefore, I wouldn't be
reading page by page, but skimming, which could potentially spoil plot
points for me, especially when discovering scannos. Also, I prefer to
read with my braille display, so the scanning process would take
forever. Since I would be scanning the book I most wanted to read at
that moment, I would be distracted from any other book I could
dedicate myself to, which could prevent me from enjoying them both as
much as I could. And of course, the final reason is I simply don't
have the equipment or space to set anything up at the moment. I'm a
student who, for the next 7 months, doesn't have a permanent home.

Sorry that my reply is posted like this. I receive the digest version
of this mailing list to prevent my inbox from becoming overloaded, and
I don't know of a better way to do it. Let me know if there's anything
I can do to make reading my replies easier. Thanks.
To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to

To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to
bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get a list of
available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject line.