[bksvol-discuss] Re: How I read

  • From: Elizabeth and Burton <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 23:40:38 -0500

Actually that bothers me too. I am also bothered by strangers walking up to me and saying "I have never watched a blind person ((fill in the blank such as eat a salad or do some task.) I am happy to talk about myself but this is different than having no boundaries where my being blind means I am on display for the interest of others or need to interrupt what I am doing to discuss my life with you.

I am also amazed at the fact that total strangers have come up to me and asked me things about my personal life. It would never occur to me to walk up to someone and say "Do you live alone?" "Do you have children?" and such. I mean if I am having a conversation with you you might ask me that if you knew me a bit but total strangers somehow figure they have the right to ask personal things because we are visibly disabled.

E.