[bksvol-discuss] Re: How Do You Handle Maps?

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 06:54:49 -0800

Thanks for the help. I may just put in something like 'map of such-and-such', since it just says the name of the map at the top. If you couldn't see it, just looking at the text, you might not know what's going on. I may just leave it at that, though, because without sighted assistance, I can't make much out of it. Besides, I don't think not having it detracts much from the story. I think in many of these fantasy books that maps are now just provided as a matter of course, whether or not they are really needed. (Now with Tolkien, who imagined more geographical detail than anyone else, he was so good at describing where things were and what they looked like that even though maps were provided, I always knew where I was and what lay in various directions, even though I couldn't use a map, which wasn't included in the recordings anyhow.)