[bksvol-discuss] Horror stories vs non-horror detective

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 14:51:30 -0700 (PDT)

Before I did some research, I was thinking that the
element of horror may have been the difference.
Thinking of Murders in the Rue Morgue--I did read The
GOld Bug but don't remember it that well--I was
surmizing that that might have been the difference
between Poe and Collins and their reputations for
being the first. I don't like really scary mystery
stories, and I usually read the end first to alleviate
my tenseness while readng the book. smile The Fall of
the House of Usher does, for me, fit more into the
horror genre than the mystery genre. Poe sure knows
how to build the suspense and to make us dentify with
the protagonist. smile

Cindy